Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Snow Flies and so do the Birds

This is the barn with that little sprinkling of snow.  It does look very pretty....only deer tracks across it.

It is that day for Valentines.....a a big happy one to you.  I am amazed at the beautiful hearts that have been created for stitching.  Beth has many on the website.....and in the newsletter.  As I looked at the calendar, no way can it be February.  The little bit of snow I found enjoyable since we didn't have to shovel and it is pretty coming down,  but this up and down temperature business is the pits.  When I lived in the South we had mild weather most of the time.....except the few years in the mountains....and when it did snow down there, at the beach, it was exciting and everything came to a stop....and we enjoyed it.
It's done!!!!!!


The last block completed.....Giving thanks on Sunday!!!  How appropriate


I have completed Hawk Run Hollow which many of you have been following my progress.  On Super Bowl Sunday, several picked up the "stuff" to stitch it.  It was very enjoyable....maybe because the fabric was 28ct. which made seeing it much easier.  Finished it measured about 26 1/4 inch by 19 3/4.  Each block is about
6  1/2 inches square.  On 32 ct. it would be 5 3/4 inches a bit smaller.  It is in the process of framing. We selected a reddish brown frame about 2 inches wide. Phyllis' autumn Hawk Run is in the works for framing as well.  Hers is long! Hope I can load up some pics






I had started another block sampler by Brenda Keyes before I began Hawk Run and now I am back to working on it.  It is on 32 ct. linen, two strands of DMC.....I use the magnifier bigtime.It is titled A Sampler Story.  She gives numerous alternatives that you can use....again one or two  of the 24 blocks each of which measures 3 inches.  It is different than Hawk Run, but does tell a sampler story.







Here is a shot of where I am........actually it is a shot of the entire piece.....from the cover and I have completed the 12 on the right side.  Don't know why I started there.





Here is where I am.....the pic is on the left.



      

Here is something I found as I was going thru things that I save.......I will write it out...it says so much

My Favorite Store

The Strawberry Sampler 
Chadds Ford, PA

How could it be?
It all was so right
I had entered a world
Of beauty so bright.

From the towels and bibs, 
To the samplers and clock, 
I could see that this shop
Had magnificent stock.

Rabbits and dolls
Were displayed on the wall.
There were so many projects, 
I wanted them all.

I started to gather 
From each loaded rack.  
Then I realized quite gladly, 
I'd have to come back.

For stitching is not
An impulsive task, 
But rather an act
Of love meant to last.


This was share by Katherine Hoffken, Essington, PA in a magazine that was printed at least 15-20 years ago.   In it there was a place to write in about your favorite store.  We were thrilled with her thoughts. In those 15-20 years so much has changed in our retail industry and having been one of the "early birds" in the mid 70's, I seen the growth....at times overwhelming growth...of shops around the country.....and sadly the change in the number of shops that are still sharing "this cross stitch stuff".  It is because of friends like you all that keeps this poem relative......even those of you on the internet, mail order.  As these shops have closed their doors, we know it as our internet base continues to grow.   We're always so pleased to have "one of them drop by while traveling....just to say hi and to check us out. 



I will post this now, hoping my chatting you enjoy.  The birds are having a blast at the feeders.  Their bellies are full.  Haven't seen any squirrels yet.....but I won't hold my breath.  

Like this?.......Hope to chart it......BELIEVE
Never forget that your presence is treasured in this busy world we live in.  Abby, the boy's mom, my younger daughter who endures the challenges of  Crohn's disease, says "HI!"  We are hoping that she will  bring us some new X Appeal Designs in the near future.  We live next door....they're in the farmhouse while Beth and I share the old restored barn.  It is a uniquely blessful  situation.......being able to help out when needed and to share the ups and downs of life.  Stress is such a factor in this day.......and I am a firm believer that one of the reasons we have blessed is that keeping your hands busy is so important.  Remember the old days when the ladies sat around the quilt....at the quilting bees.....that's what our gatherings really are.......a bunch of us buzzing around sharing with each other.  We will miss Stitchin' at the Ford this month due to the holiday weekend, but back together in March.  I will bring the teaching frame and share some tricks or answer some questions..........One of my favorite Bible verses......

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God , and the peace of God which shall surpass all understanding, will guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus.

And this modern translation says it well 

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray.  Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.

Through many years of difficult times.......as my doctor says"I have survived!"  I repeated many verses over and over until they are really a part of my life moment by moment carrying me through...not always around....what I am facing.  


Make a difference in the lives of all who walk on your pathway!


1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed your post. I love your stitched Hawk Run Hollow piece. What a fantastic accomplishment! But the highlight of the post was the Scripture you shared at the end. Isn't His Word a precious source of encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete